www.ruthrosengarten.com




Drawing and photography are central to my practice. Both make pressing - if sometimes fictitious - claims to the capture of lost moments.




13/11/2010

Not intentionally picturesque

These are still drawings from photographs I took in Israel. I really enjoy drawing things that are fairly haphazard and not intentionally picturesque. Drawing from photographs is very different from drawing from life as you're presented with something that is already a mediation, an abstraction. I suppose some purists would think of it as cheating, but I don't. But it often – though not always for me, I notice –  produces a different kind of drawing, a slightly more abstract line and maybe a bit less hairiness or wiriness in the mark making.

Brush markers and watercolours in untitled sketchbook.




No comments: