www.ruthrosengarten.com




Drawing and photography are central to my practice. Both make pressing - if sometimes fictitious - claims to the capture of lost moments.




29/11/2010

Dog in snow, sheep in snow, snowy landscape

The weather has been pretty extreme for this time of year. I'm not very good at evoking the snow - the whiteness presents itself as negative shapes, gaps between lovely areas of spikey darkness that I've tried to capture by the quick jots of trees and little track marks on the ground, or clumps of earth showing through. I think working with the calligraphy brush on the Ninja Scroll drawings the other day has had some sort of liberating effect on the way I'm using watercolour. Kato was like a hot dog in his coat, but that didn't cramp his exploratory style. The sheep were rastas in their natural coats. I fell and hurt my wrist, so this is hard to type... but it doesn't hurt to draw.


Brush markers in Seawhite of Brighton sketchbook.




1 comment:

froy said...

Lovely. Especially top and bottom one - I tend to draw such close images (subjects? scenes?), it's nice to see a deep landscape :)